Let me guess – your smartphone is currently either on your desk or somewhere in close proximity to you. You probably don’t leave your house without grabbing your phone and in the off chance that you forget your mobile, it feels as though you’ve left a part of you behind. Lost – dazed – confused…these are the sure-fire signs that you’re a smartphone addict like the rest of us!
Considering how connected people are to their smartphones, it’s surprising how many companies don’t have a mobile-optimized site. According to a study by Netmarketshare, mobile browsing in October accounted for 10.3% of all web traffic – and it’s predicted that mobile traffic will outpace PC traffic in the next few years. Is your company missing out on this big chunk of traffic? A recent study by Google of 1088 US smartphone users reveals the detrimental consequences of not having a mobile-optimized site.
Here are the main takeaways from this study and how the lack of a mobile-optimized website can negatively impact your bottom line:
- 72% of consumers believe it’s important for brands to have a mobile-friendly site
- 96% of consumers have come across a site that was not mobile-friendly
- 55% of respondents explain that a frustrating mobile experience hurts their opinion of a brand
- 67% of respondents will turn to a competitor if a company’s site isn’t mobile-optimized
- 74% of respondents said they’re more likely to revisit mobile-friendly sites
Mobile-Optimized Website Tips
Brett Goffin, industry director of retail at Google, explains that “not having a mobile-optimized web site is a lot more damaging than a retailer might think—it’s not just about losing a sale. It’s doubly bad, because you lose out on a long-term customer.” So what exactly do customers expect from a mobile website? Here are some tips that will turn your mobile visitors into happy customers:
- 78% of respondents report that the majority of information on a mobile site should be one or two clicks away
- 78% said the search bar should be easy to find and use
- 76% reported that the site should fit the screen
- 74% want to easily find a company’s location and operating hours
- 61% would like to click a button to call the company
- 54% would like the ability to send an email
Would you leave a website if it wasn’t mobile-optimized? Tell us in the comments!